No More French Fries and Nuggets

Honesty rules here – Therefore, I confess that if IT were up to me,  my busy schedule, my love of salt, and my weekly errands – I could easily be the Queen of french fries and nuggets!

Shame on me, right!?

But, if you know my heart and the way we feed our family, you will know that convenience doesn’t always trump healthy eating.

Even when we are out of the house and running errands….( although the economical popcorn and organic chocolate milk is easy to split between all of my littles, and keep us ALL happy through lunch time shopping trips.)

So lunches CAN be more than salt and processed meat!

Let’s share some creative healthy eating lunch ideas today that will not overwhelm and make us feel as if we need to pour over a new diet web site, printing off various recipes, and buying a whole new pantry of all natural ingredients.

With a big family, I have had to find the balance between economical and healthy… and we cannot forget – Yummy!

Kids Tested  – Family Approved – Healthy Lunch Time Meals

Here are a few of our favorites:

-Whole Grain tortillas with cream cheese spread and turkey or albacore tuna rolled into wraps ( spinach for those who choose)

-Boiled Eggs, sliced strawberries and handful of almonds

-Organic popcorn and fruit smoothies

-Warm pumpkin or banana bread with sliced apples and peanut butter

Warm rice, chili or black beans, black olives , sour cream, romaine lettuce, and homemade salsa in a warm wrap

-Mini-Taco Salads with quartered oranges for dessert

-Mini-pancake skewers with fruit puree or homemade maple syrup

-Mini-tortilla home made pizzas – the kids get to create their own

-We even had oatmeal for breakfast!  We love it that much!

-Blue corn chips with melted mexican cheese and homemade salsa

-Special veggie plates with baby carrots and ranch, sliced cucumbers and pretzels and hummus ( love our recipe for this!)

Keep the creative ideas coming!

lunch popcorn

wraps for lunch

mini pancakes for Saturdays

What are your favorite LUNCH Ideas?   Healthy and Fun!

Lisa Randall
    February 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

We enjoy Organic yogurt with Moms Best Oats and Honey cereal sprinkled on top. Usually with a Boiled Egg on the side.
    Also, Tomato Sandwiches are a favorite.
    Egg Salad on Fresh Wheat Bread.

Shonda Knowlton
    February 21, 2013 at 10:50 am

I am the worst at making lunches. I have breakfast and dinner down, but lunch is either leftovers, same sandwiches and almost the SAME thing everyday. I really want to to work on this area. Thanks!!

Barbara
    February 21, 2013 at 1:54 pm

We use a LOT of bagged coleslaw mix to make yummy lunch creations. Our favorites are whole grain spaghetti (pre-cooked) sauteed with the coleslaw mix, sesame oil, garlic, ginger and soy sauce for a yummy lo mein. We use the same basic mix without the noodles to make homemade egg rolls. I have also baked a bunch of potatoes, and put a variety of toppings out for the kids to make their own concoctions: cheese, salsa, chili, etc. Once in a while I make “banana splits” (great for breakfast too) with bananas, yogurt, and let the kids add their own toppings: sliced fruit, wheat germ, nuts, etc.

Stephanie Kay
    February 21, 2013 at 2:29 pm

These sound delicious. We have PB and Honey sandwiches, fresh fruit and baby carrots for almost every meal. Or more accurately, my children do. I usually eat leftovers. I’m in a “keep it simple” and low energy stage so I’m ok with this. BUT I’m pinning your list so I can come back in the fall when I have energy again and want to change our lunch menu.

Amanda@EmbracingGrace
    February 21, 2013 at 6:19 pm

We do cheese/crackers, carrots/bellpeppers, with fruit pretty often- Easy cleanup:) My kids love it!

Lauren in GA
    March 14, 2013 at 11:03 pm

The most helpful thing to me is to make a full menu — breakfast, lunch and dinner — each Sunday night for the entire next week. Even if I have to make some substitutions or switches between days, it takes a lot of the pressure off having to decide what to eat each day. It makes the grocery store list easier to make too.