The (Un)Homeschooling Day

47840_10151319467447730_2074398999_nI give myself permission to set one day a week aside for (Un)Schooling.

I am strange like that.  Permission granted.  What a HUGE success.

Don’t be mistaken – We still homeschool that day.  It just looks different.  And what an AMAZING tradition of learning this is for our family.  Here is a re-cap for those interested in trying this in your own schooling schedules.

We bring every one up to speed with a special breakfast!

Song and Devo’s break open our morning.  We put aside our “normal” devotional routine and break out with new songs, a new study of the Names of God, and drawing/writing in our notebooks what our memories have retained from the week.

Reading from a few of our favorite books for an hour. We spend time discussing their favorite sections in the books, imagining what it would be like to live in “that Era,” and making up new endings for each chapter.

We move into some brain benders, math around the house, and word challenges ranging from rhyming, synonyms, longest words, and Latin root meanings.

Exercise time!  This could be a hike on the local trail, laps on bikes, hula hooping, trampoline silliness, or even basketball competitions on our bball pad.

Snack time!  This is our favorite – for everyone picks something special at the store the week before they will prepare, research food origins, ingredients, and nutrition guide info.  The imagination goes wild! Yummmm!

Remember the books we read earlier?  Where did that story take place – Geography!  We LOVE our Geography CD – singing songs for each new place.   Time-Lines for history of book background, and vocabulary for new and difficult words we discovered while reading.

Art – Go to the lake, park or favorite setting – Pick a spot and draw what you see!  We LOVE this creativity!  Pick your favorite scene in the reading for the day, and using different art mediums, create your own scene from the book.

Science – We pull out our favorite Science Experiment Unit Study – and GO wild!  So …Much… Fun!

What an awesome day of school this turned out to be!  This was a basic outline to give you the idea of how you can re-create a school day to add fun and smiles to your school room! Feel free to click on any high-lighted words to see our favorite sites!!!!

Un-Schooling…Try it.

unschooling

Share your creative ideas for schooling without textbooks once in a while!   What are your favorite resources?

Sarah Ann Hubbard Price
    March 1, 2013 at 12:20 am

I’ve wondered how to go about unschooling…thank you!

septemberanne
      March 1, 2013 at 11:34 am

Sarah – Let me know how your unschooling days go! Would love to hear!

Esther E Hawkins
    March 1, 2013 at 12:46 am

This is really fun and helpful! I part-time homeschool my 6 year old. I have a 4 and 1 year old too and I’ll confess that much of our schooling time is ‘let’s just try to get this all finished’. I’m not very creative 🙁 and trying to get school done between melt-downs, naps, preschool pick-up and meals is all I can handle most days. I’m hoping that as the younger too grow and are a little more independent, that we can get a bit more creative. I know my son would love it if school was more fun!

septemberanne
      March 1, 2013 at 11:34 am

Esther! Homeschooling with little ones can be so challenging – yet, rewarding. I love the relaxed days of learning – Hands on activities, music and reading. The handwriting and math, etc can be learned during naps. So excited for you to be able to try some of the new ideas! We love this concept – hang in there!

Lorraine
    March 1, 2013 at 8:19 am

What an awesome day!!!! This is how I want my homeschool to be, but I can’t ever seem to pull it off! As much as I don’t want to admit it, I tend to be a just get it done kind of gal, and I hate that!!! Thanks for the ideas, definitely gonna pray about how to incorporate some of this into our day!!

septemberanne
      March 1, 2013 at 11:31 am

Lorraine! I am so glad you stopped by today! Hopefully some of the links will guide you to some great sites with more ideas. I have learned to relax about their learning on days like these. Hugs!

Linda
    March 1, 2013 at 8:44 am

What a great un-homeschool day September! Lynnette does that kind of stuff too. The kids love it!!! Have a great day! Linda

septemberanne
      March 1, 2013 at 11:30 am

Linda! How are you! I am sure Lynnette’s unschooling days are even MORE creative than mine. lol She is soooo creative and such a fun momma! Inspiring!

Mandy
    March 1, 2013 at 9:57 am

Thanks for this, September:) I’ve been thinking on how to change up our homeschooling, and I love this idea of 1 day of unschooling each week.

septemberanne
      March 1, 2013 at 11:29 am

I hope you can try this Mandy! It is unbelievable how FUN the learning is when we put the workbooks, etc away for a day!

Stephanie Kay
    March 1, 2013 at 10:02 am

What a fun day! Last year I organized our schedule so that Fridays were field trips and play dates. We had a lot of fun and it was nice to know Fridays were a break from our normal routine.

septemberanne
      March 1, 2013 at 11:28 am

Fridays seem to work the best for us too! Isn’t it wonderful to be able to implement family time and creative learning Stephanie! I sure hope we can meet someday!

Stephanie Kay
        March 1, 2013 at 5:23 pm

It was a great way to end the week! Unfortunately morning sickness and exhaustion wiped me out in the fall and we are WAYYYY behind so we’re pushing through for the rest of the year until the new baby comes. It would be fun to meet. RI is a great place to vacation in the summer/fall. 😉

Katie-Joe Packard
    March 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Love it! What great memories to make with the kiddo’s. I will definatly be trying some of these things. Was there a certain day that you found worked best for you? Ex: Friday, Wednesday, Monday

Heather Joy
    November 5, 2016 at 11:06 am

Every homeschool years looks a little different around here. I’ve always pictured myself doing homeschool in a field of daisies under the warm sun and my children enjoying the day and learning as they go. It really doesn’t work that way around here, especially now that they are getting older. This is a nice reminder of how I would it like to be. Maybe I could just start with 2 days a month, not sure I could do it every week. I feel bad when it is 5 o’clock and they are still working away. (although, i do wonder how much time was spend stealing pencils and looking out windows.)