The Skinny On Fit

She looked so confused.   I simply asked my daughter to grab me my jeans off the shelf in my closet and bring them to me. What could possibly be so difficult.

“Mom, how am I suppose to know WHICH jeans you want me to grab?  And why do you have so many different jeans in your closet?”

Ahhhh!  The answer to the puzzling look.  I only wear two pairs of the jeans on that shelf.  The others – well, they are either too big, too small, or “too maternity,” or too….well, they just don’t fit.

Her smile was sweet.  She has seen me exercise and work to fit into those jeans each and every time I have another baby.  The sweating, the running of stairs and the perseverance.

“Well, you look pretty just the way you are mom.”  **sniff**  God sure did bless me with precious daughters.

Some day, I will be helping my daughters adjust to womanhood and the balance of staying fit and fighting the natural progression of life.  My daughters exercise with me, they juice with me for our family, and have learned and appreciate the benefits of feeding our bodies whole, nutritious foods.  And they know – it is not all about fitting into THOSE jeans.

walking

So, here’s the skinny on fit.

There is a time, a place and a healthy benefit to finding your optimal health and fitness as a journey and a positive step in a forward direction.

Every time I walk into my closet and see the jeans that don’t quite fit yet, I know there may never be a day that I will slip into those.  I also remind myself that the “other” jeans on the shelf that are too big are the baby steps that brought me to feeling so much better today – mentally, physically and spiritually.

A journey that cannot be finished by sheer-will-power and determination.  A purposed plan of action with reasonable guidelines – one of which includes failure.  For when we lean on Jesus for EVERYTHING – there will be victory.

Victory – In all shapes and sizes.  For when we grasp that optimal health is not about the skinny or the fat – we embrace the ultimate goal – We are to be good stewards of our bodies.

So, where do we go from here?  How does a women find the balance with the scale and feeding her family – all while living out her daily schedule?

healthy homemaking

Join me as we begin a series on whole-food eating and exercise for the busy woman?

We will discuss stages of womanhood, what is realistic for weight loss and gain, and what really is – Healthy eating?

Do you love or hate to exercise?  How can you get creative with a daily routine without resenting it?

Will you ever see the scale tip in “your favor?”    Is a healthy diet for you and your family overwhelming you?

Chime in gals.  I am all in!  Here’s the skinny –  We are all in this together!

Valerie
    June 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I am so thankful to have a husband that fully supports my getting fit and healthy. He is trying as well but has some health issues that are making things a bit difficult. But, never once, when I say “can I go workout?” is the answer “aww, do you have to?” or “now’s not a good time.” I get an encouraging “yes, what time do you think you’ll be home?” or “can we find a sitter so I can go with you?” I’m down 34lbs in 16 wks because I choose healthy over indulgence 9 out of 10 times. AND, because I have the support of my husband who wants this FOR me almost as much as I want it!!

P.S. I’m going to be starting to train for my 1st 5k on June 23rd, I’m SO excited. And, my husband wants to run it with me!!

septemberanne
      June 10, 2013 at 10:23 pm

You have been so diligent Valerie! Your testimony here can really encourage all of us to stay focused on what is truly important. Stay with us as we post here this journey? You can chime in and share too! Hugs!

Valerie
        June 10, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Absolutely!! Anyone on a journey to better health and fitness can use all the encouragement and support they can get. =) I’d love to be a cheerleader!!

Meg
    June 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm

This sounds wonderful! I’ve been struggling with “baby” weight for over two years! I’ve recently got my husband on board with eating whole foods and juicing. I could definitely use some resources and encouragements to stay motivated and organized to stay in the healthy and fit lifestyle!

septemberanne
      June 10, 2013 at 10:25 pm

More to come Meg! So glad you are with us here! It will be great to hear the updates and words of progress from everyone as we begin this journey to healthy and fit – together! Hugs!

Kerry Little-Rice
    June 10, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Oh I would so enjoy this. I have struggled with my weight for so long. I hate that it is always on my mind. I hope you will include people with health issues.

septemberanne
      June 11, 2013 at 9:08 am

Kerry – I so get your comment! And health issues will be included – so many women need to share their stories here. Thanks!

Janet S
    June 11, 2013 at 8:01 am

I don’t hate exercising, however I do get bored with it. Healthy eating? HA! I love carbs!

septemberanne
      June 11, 2013 at 9:07 am

Carbs! Bread – my favorite too! 🙂 Hugs Janet!

Jeremiah Emily Wheeler
    June 11, 2013 at 9:25 am

September I am so looking forward to this series… we have been juicing and trying to eat healthy as well. .. it’s finding the time to get out and exercise that I need to work harder at… it’s so hard to get off the hill and find the time where i don’t have children ha ha lol … my goal is to be down 50lbs by the time my husband gets home from basic training and AIT, we shall see 🙂 looking forward to what you have to say 🙂

Stephanie Kay
    June 11, 2013 at 10:40 am

Looking forward to reading your series! Over the last 2 summers I had lost about 20 pounds of “baby weight” and felt great. Last summer I was training for a fall 5K when I realized the reason running had become so difficult – another baby. Now baby is 5 weeks old and I need to get back in shape so I don’t have to go buy a bunch of new clothes. Can’t wait to read your inspiring words!!

septemberanne
      June 11, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Motivation and new ideas are the best way to do this together! Wow Stephanie! You can share right along with us here as we go – sounds as if you have done this before! 😉 Stay tuned!

Stephanie Kay
        June 11, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Motivation goes a long way to getting me off the couch. 🙂 Last summer I enlisted a group of local bloggers to get fit with me and called the whole thing ‘Project 10’ (after the “10” pounds of baby weight we moms seem to keep). We had a great time encouraging each other and blogging about our successes and failures.

Trina Holden
    June 13, 2013 at 11:56 am

So good. Jumping up and down cheering.

Sacred Mommyhood
    June 14, 2013 at 4:15 pm

This made me smile. Often, my kids will comment on how many clothes I have hanging in my closet…and I always have to remind them that I am only wearing a fraction of those clothes at any given time. And yep! I have exactly TWO pairs of pants that fit well right now. I have ten children as well, so my sizes range from 6-14, and of course, maternity! 🙂

I am a runner, so that is my primary exercise/baby weight loss method. I’m running my 3rd half marathon tomorrow. But I tell ya…IT’S. HARD. WORK. And as I get older, staying fit gets harder. ; )
    Looking forward to the series…I can use some extra encouragement and motivation!