Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff

Small Stuff

Small Stuff

My shirt was inside out through the entire visit with the ballet moms on the waiting bench.  While on a Target run after ballet, and through a speedy – in- store chat with someone who recognized me, and then while zipping through the check-out.

It wasn’t until my weary body could stand not one minute longer, and I couldn’t wait to slide into my comfy jammies, that I noticed  – the seams that were glaring at me on the OUTSIDE of my shirt!

I laughed.  Outloud.   Don’t sweat the small stuff.

While walking through a government building last week I could see the metal detector looming before me.  I am trying to decide if a purse over-haul would look suspicious or if I should just give the officer a long security check.  You see where I am going with this?  ……He takes my purse and the weight of his hand drops in surprise.  Heavy – yep.  Sorry.  The metal scanning wand begins beeping while he goes up my right side and down my left.  His look seems to be curious and frustrated all at the same time.  I tell him that I have money in my right coat pocket for the Aldi’s carts, and bobby pins and hair things for my little girls in my left coat pocket.   He has me empty my pockets – the evidence:  quarters and hair things.

When he begins to comb through my purse, I can see the little smirk on his bent face.  Poor guy I wonder just how many SAHM come through his scanner a day?  He pushes aside tissues, baggie of fruit loops, infant ibuprofen, spare diaper, pencils, loose crayons, baby slipper shoes, matchbox car, zillion coffee receipts ( for my husband of course) , the expected, baby bottle liners and spare juice box for long appointments, mini-barbie doll, my camera, and $56 in loose change.

My quick trip through a government building.  I laughed – later.  Outloud.  Don’t sweat the small stuff.

(p.s. I did clean out my purse later that night.  Saving all of that loose change for a date-night with my hubby!)

As I work on simplifying my life this year, I am discovering just how adaptable I have become in not sweating the small stuff.  This was not always me.

I was looking around this week at all of the things that you, my friends might consider zany and out of order – in the pulse of my days…

And then it occurred to me – I have had to learn – to teach myself how to make THIS life work for US.

And it does.  Most days.  And perhaps you are wondering when you read blogs on exercise, motherhood, eating well, crafts for kids, homeschooling, organization, and fashion advice – Just HOW can one can possible do everything and have it all together.

Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Brushing my teeth – after scrubbing the Desitin off of the toothbrush that was used earlier in the day by the baby –  when I wasn’t looking.  Scrambling a healthy meal on the table after a full day of homeschooling, music lessons, and lunch in the car with seven out of ten children.  All day.  Finding my own jeans in our teen daughters rooms, after laundry is put away.  Taking more time to get ready than should be expected.  Wearing my shirts inside out – by accident.

More opportunities to mutter thanksgiving to God, rather than grumbling.

Let’s be real – What is the big deal with NOT folding socks, any ways?

So, tell me?  What has become a big deal to you and you just want to laugh about it?

Photocredit

Amanda@EmbracingGrace
    February 5, 2013 at 11:32 am

Agreed!!! Who wants to fold socks anyways? What does it matter if our closets are organized enough to be “pinterstable”….. Don’t sweat the small stuff is a great slogan to remember:) 🙂

septemberanne
      February 5, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Ahhh Amanda! Pinterest will get me every time! Thanks for sharing here today!

Kate @ Teaching What Is Good
    February 5, 2013 at 11:37 am

Well, I have to say that our sock drawers NEVER look like that so you are twice a year ahead of me!! 😀 Loved this post – and a great exhortation. Life is too short to get stressed out at little and insignificant things! Blessings.

septemberanne
      February 5, 2013 at 4:04 pm

KATE! Did you change your blog name ? I was glad to see you here today! Hugs!

Debi Chapman
    February 5, 2013 at 12:25 pm

September – This is so true! I laughed out loud as I read your sweet words. Yesterday, I was preparing a bag for charity donation. (my Feb dejunk plan) I grabbed my ‘old’ purse to toss in – dumped the random debris in the bottom and marveled at how heavy the empty purse was. It rattled when shook. Then I found the ever so small hole in the lining that had siphoned my change into the casing. Bingo! I had lunch out with our son on that find. 🙂

septemberanne
      February 5, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Oh my Debi! That little lining in our purses must have post written all on that one topic! Oh what we may find there! 🙂 Much love my friend!

Diane Shiffer
    February 5, 2013 at 2:10 pm

🙂

Stephanie Kay
    February 5, 2013 at 2:25 pm

lol! So true! Although I confess our sock drawers DO look like that but it’s more for survival so we can FIND 2 socks mixed in with the underwear and pajamas.

septemberanne
      February 5, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I always love reading your comments Stephanie! Smiling as I picture all of us digging for matched socks! 🙂

Lisa Jacobson
    February 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm

I’m tempted to take a pic of our very LARGE bin of unmatched socks…to add to the laughs. But I’m not quite ready to do the same with the area under our kitchen sink – not chuckling about that one yet…?
    A wonderful post and encouraging perspective!

septemberanne
      February 5, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Lisa… LOL… We have three of those bins of un-matched socks. I call it survival! Hugs! Can’t wait to chat with you at http://club31women.com/!!!

Amy Tilson
    February 5, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I’m learning to not get so hung up. I’m mean seriously, I’ll be 43 tomorrow and my little guy just turned 4 – and he’s it! I don’t have the energy for lots of crazy stress. BTW – I’m soooo glad you are back! 🙂

septemberanne
      February 5, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Ohh friend! You and me both! Enjoy that special birthday – relaxing! 🙂 I am soo happy to see you here today! You’re such an encourager!

Amanda Pausley
    February 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I’m new here 🙂 And, just love this blog! I relate so much today!

septemberanne
      February 5, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Hooray Amanda! So glad that you feel at home here! Real Life Living! Thank you for such sweet words!

Janet Roth
    February 5, 2013 at 11:37 pm

One thing that I gave up on a few years ago was brilliantly white socks. I finally got tired of the whole presoak, soak some more, and then wash with bleach and hope nothing slips in with them process. Socks are socks…and with two rough and tumble boys who will randomly run outside and through the grass with only their socks on, I now just laugh and run with them knowing no one is going to die because their socks aren’t like new white anymore. Loved your post and laughed out loud with you on your shirt ordeal. I once put on a brand new pair of pants that I just bought in the mall to go and meet my hubby for lunch…unknowingly there was a huge sticker down the back of my leg that I just showed to the whole front of the restaurant as I walked around looking for him. So funny!

septemberanne
      February 5, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Oh my ! Janet – you had me in stitches! Honestly – If we could all encourage one another to remember this – and not forget – what a gift that would be! Thank you for sharing – Your right on! Hugs!

Esther E Hawkins
    February 6, 2013 at 1:11 am

Love this – and you know we’ve all done it 🙂 After we had our third baby, I am learning to embrace chaos. Going to bed with toys scattered, dishes waiting to be washed and laundry still to be folded is not uncommon. I have traded organization and order for fun, and I’m learning to trade control for complete surrender. I highly recommend it!

septemberanne
      February 6, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Esther! First – I love your name! Thank you for this post. All of the above for me – dishes, toys and sometimes morning brings a new beginning. Amen! Saw you on twitter and cannot wait to chat with you!

Heather
    February 6, 2013 at 2:34 am

Ahhh. Very refreshing! And I think you all have pretty socks!

jennifer kindle
    February 6, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I stopped sorting socks about a year ago! My 4 year old daughter wears super hero costumes to church and I just don’t know if I should care about that or not! I’m always so glad to see your blog with a new post in my inbox.

Joan G
    February 7, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I LOVED this story of yours, September! I was cracking up the whole time I read it!

My oldest daughter (now 21) used to wear her Pocahontas outfit every year to take her Standardized testing. Once she outgrew that, she wore her “Sunday Best” dress.

These are indeed precious moments! 🙂

kelly
    January 8, 2014 at 11:40 am

I think when I stopped matching my kids socks, they started thinking it was ok to wear mismatched socks… and I let them 😉

Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 10:26 am

Excellent advice…”Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff!” Even us older ladies can benefit from it! Thanks…I am going to keep repeating that to myself today September…and passing the advice along to my husband too! Such a good reminder! Love ya!

Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 10:28 am

Oh…I forgot to mention that this grandma and grandpa have two of our teenage grandsons living with us now…so “Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff” if timely advice for us these days!!!!! 🙂

Jacqueline
    March 17, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I love your post! I have learned to laugh and laugh often. When in doubt… Laugh! Laugh because “it is what it is” and you just have to “let it go”. My life tends not drizzle stress, but more of a downpour that turns into a flood. A flood that some days I find my inner self gasping for air, flailing about and wondering if I just may drown… In that second when the last straw has broken- I Laugh. Not that anything is funny, but I have learned and the Lord has taught me that I am not in control and He is. Not matter what the circumstance- It is what it is- I do however have a choice at how I choose to react to the matters behind and in front of me. So, I let it go and laugh! My husband is still catching on to this whole thought process. I laugh even harder when he looks at me in disbelief that I could possibly find the fact that everything has literally gone: we were suppose to have the night alone with no kids but the sitter canceled, 2 of the kids took turns waking up the night we were suppose to be blissfully dreaming ,children awoke unusually early, the puppy just peed on the carpet and our littlest went potty walks into our carpeted room and bends over and says Daddy wipe me, and falls smack on her up wiped bottom onto our cream carpet….. at that moment…. I laughed…. and you know what? it is contagious ! He laughed and it changed the whole energy and outlook on the moment and going forward that day.

Of course I type this after my dad forgot he was babysitting tomorrow and I am a chaperone on a field trip for my one child in school. I had four sitters unable to help out and at that moment I read your post. Perfect timing. It was my encouraging laugh and I am now smiling.
    Thanks

Wanda
    April 30, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Oh! I have to admit to being one of those moms that always has the socks in order. :(((()))). Husband wears professional clothes every day and I keep that drawer at the ready.
    But oh let me tell you about how I toss my “undies” in without a care if they are folded. After all, I’m just going to grab one in the dark the next morning !

You just crack this grandmother up!

Roxana Heath
    May 1, 2014 at 12:27 am

I have no idea how I manage to lose my husbands, my son’s and my own socks in the process of doing laundry! I can’t remember the last time I wore matchin socks lol. 😉 such a fun read.